Contrary to most of the other period products out there, period underwear are actual underwear you can wear over and over again. They have a special protective lining that allows you to not have to wear any other disposable period products with them. They are just like pads in that they have anti-microbial properties to help prevent odours as well!
There are many brands and styles on the market and range in price. You can select from style as well as flow, as they go from light menstrual days to heavy flowing days. Teens and women around the world are wearing period underwear in a variety of ways.
- As you are leading up to when your period is about to arrive, as they are a great "in case of emergency" product.
- As a replacement to traditional pads, or tampons that you have to throw away.
- As a backup to traditional products (pads, tampons, diva cup) if for example you have a heavy flow or are traveling etc.
- Overnight these are a great solution as we all know how bulky pads can feel while sleeping.
- These underwear are also great for girls or women who might have some challenges physically/mentally to change a pad or tampon.
How long can you wear them?
Period underwear can be worn all day! It really depends on your flow and the underwear capacity you've selected.
How do I clean my period underwear?
This is a commonly asked question and the answer is simple:
- Rinse with cold water after wearing.
- Throw them in the wash like your other undergarments.
- Hang to dry!
Other Benefits of period underwear:
- No bulky pads/tampons to deal with.
- Better for the environment.
- Feel more comfortable.
- Great as a backup if you don't track your cycle.
- Long term they are more affordable.
- Easy to use, especially for young girls just starting their periods.
- Can also be used for small bladder leaks
- Great for post partum